First time a city has topped the ranking
The Sixth Annual Analysis by the Global Language Monitor New York, February 21, 2013 – The city of London has been named the Top Fashion Buzzword for 2013, in the Global Language Monitor’s sixth annual ranking. London breaks the two year chart topping by the Duchess of Cambridge. London bested ‘high slits’ the look popularized by Angelina Jolie’s dramatic stance at the 2012 Oscars, followed by Textures, Nail Art, Top Knots. Leather, Wedge Sneakers, Peek-a-boo, Statement Sunglasses, and Au Natural rounded out the top ten. “It may come as a surprise to some that the former Kate Middleton does not top the Top Fashion Buzzwords list this year. After all Kate lit the headlines for everything she wore (and even more so when forgetting to don her frocks). However, she could not overcome the fashion behemoth she helped create: London,” said Bekka Payack, Manhattan-based Fashion Director for GLM. “This season will serve to further liberate women the world over to dress fashionably, in any way these choose.”
- London — With the the Global Fashion Crown two years running, the Olympics, Kate Middleton, Stella McCartney, Kate Moss and a cast of thousands (even the flamboyant Boris Johnson, nothing has proven more worthy than London Town.
- High Slits — Angelina Jolie’s dramatic stance at the 2012 Academy Award ceremony was the largest meme ever tracked. thereafter high slits abound.
- Textures — For the fashion conscious it’s the feel and not just the look.
- Nail Art — Observing today’s nail art is akin to taking a stroll through MoMA, with the works in miniature.
- Top knots and fun buns — Hair buns have evolved from granny’s convenience to a post-Modern fashion statement.
- Leather — Everything and everywhere, including socks, pants, jackets, shirts, and various ‘unmentionables’.
- Wedge sneakers — Chuck your oh-so-retro Chuck Taylors, wedge sneakers are now the thing.
- Peek-a-boo — Apparently, the catwalks have gotten the CBS Emmy memo — and peek-a-boo fashion abounds.
- Statement Sunglasses — All of a sudden, Google’s ‘enhanced reality ‘ sunglasses are demur by catwalk standards.
- Au Natural — In the buff now has a much sought after ‘royal warrant’ directly from the Duchess of Cambridge.
- First Knuckle Rings — Every few hundred years first knuckle rings return to the fashion forefront.
- Baby Bumps — First saw life with the ‘More Demi Moore’ Vanity Fair Cover in ’91. Now a fashion statement.
- Blocking — Fabric and Texture blocking; not just color blocking this time around
- Prints — Start with postage stamps and follow through to zig-zags, paisleys, and even stripes.
- Children as Fashion Accessories — Nothing new here but becoming ever more prominent in Tinsel Town.
Each autumn, the Global Language Monitor ranks the Top Global Fashion Capitals. In 2012, London maintained its dominance over New York City as the Top Global Fashion Capital. Following London and New York were Barcelona, Paris, and Madrid. Rome, Sao Paulo, Milano, Los Angeles, and Berlin rounded out the top ten.